09 April 2009

Sharing



One of the reasons I started this blog was the extreme unlikeliness of my parents joining facebook. So I thought I’d share our start in married life with them, and the rest of my family, here. My parents seem to enjoy my blog a lot. When Mama (the name by which all the best Dutch mothers are known) started emailing me with her responses to my posts I told her I’d give her a prize if she commented on my blog properly. She and the computer are not always the best of friends so I was extremely impressed when she duly commented that same day here.

She says that she feels very strange writing a comment here for all the world to see, so she writes in Dutch so that most people won’t be able to read it. [Speaking a little known language does have its perks – we have our own secret code when we don’t want to be understood, it’s fabulous. Now all I need is for Mr B to learn!]

I would neither describe myself as a private person nor an open book and the truly wonderful feeling that came when I started write, photograph and share with you all took me by surprise. To write, to be creative and then to be supported and cheered on by you all is extraordinarily liberating.

Mama is, beyond doubt, an incredibly talented person. I don’t think she realizes this. I would like her to write a guest post sometime soon, so she can see for herself the encouragement and positivity of a blog and alleviate her concern about its openness.

So I’d like to know what you’d like her to write about! Would you like to hear about her experience as a young newlywed coming from rural Holland to live in the UK? Or perhaps her 35+ years as a primary school teacher? Or how about growing up in post-war Holland? I'm excited to see what you come up with!

12 comments:

  1. growing up in post-war Holland! and things about you as a child! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested to hear what you were like as a child! And any fun stuff about Holland, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute that your mom started commenting! My parents read my blog but I cannot get them to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would LOVE to hear about her as a newlywed and the transition from being in Holland to the UK. How'd she meet your father?

    I linky loved ya today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. post-war holland or even growing up in holland would be amazing. i have a secret love of history, especially when it pertains to other cultures. i have a grandmother from germany (oma!) and i could listen to her stories of growing up in germany, especially during the war, all day. she must must MUST guest blog! but perhaps in english. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think her move to the big city would be delightful to read about!

    ps: I loved this post and that you call your mom "Mama"....I want my children to call me Mama too. (but my "Mama" will definitely have a country twang to it. ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um yes. Hearing about any of that would be fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to read a post from your mama! I started my blog for my family to read too. They never post comments. My mom will call me to tell me what she thinks about a post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mom "forgets" to read my blog half the time! I'd love for your mom to guest blog. And your new haircut is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Love the pic.
    2. I have a love for history so post-war holland or even what it was like growing up there would be amazing.
    3. I hope you have a wonderful, happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Having your mom do a guest post will be wonderful! I'd love for her to tell a story about herself (maybe one that you suggested above) and also one of her most memorable moments with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think its wonderful that your mom is ready to do a post for you!!! I wish I could get my Dad to do one for me. Have her write what's in her heart when she sits down at the computer. We'll all love it no matter what!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete